During the spring of 1856, Joseph F. Alvord built a house on his farm just northwest of town. The house was later occupied by H. Martin and was eventually known as the Fisher place. Mrs. Force’s brother, Henry Booth, then moved into the former Alvord house on Bodman Street. Also that spring, the Nyes left their rooming house and moved to Urbana, where Mr. Nye became a butcher. Mr. and Mrs. James Crippen took over the boarding house. A little later Mr. and Mrs. Aaron Yost moved to Bement and built a home just north of where the Presbyterian Church now stands. The Yosts lived there for about a year, and then purchased farmland north of town. The house was then purchased by J. C. Evans. It was torn down in 2004.
D. H. Dawson purchased 320 acres, where he resided until his death. B. G. Hopkins settled here A for about two years and had somewhat of a checkered past, but brilliant for the most part. He sold his land to Elihu Fisher and moved back to Green County.
The years 1856-1859 saw the arrival of other pioneers, many of whom settled here or on nearby farms. Among them were S. K. Bodman, Thomas Postlewait, F. E.Bryant, Edmund Davies, Luther Bodman, James McDowell, R. McDowell, Amos Stout, H. B.
Burgess, William Camp, Elihu Fisher, W. FD. Coffin, J. C. Evans, C. F. Tenney, Thomas Lamb, Charles Lamb, Albert Lamb, Thomas Morris, and George L. Spears.
From Bement Sesquicentennial book - used with permission